Monday, February 21, 2011

Under the Covers Monday - curtsying before the Bowie altar


Growing up I wasn't really exposed to the clutched rock legends of my parents' youth. Led Zepp was a high school revelation, I didn't hear a Grateful Dead song until I was in my 20's. Dad insisted upon "modern music," and discarded records as soon as he felt they were obsolete. Holds true with his overall-life mantra; I barely had my extra-long sheets packed for college before Dad tore down the adolescent collage of Abercrombie dudes on my wall {it's a shameful time, but I've moved past it and feel at peace}.

So no, I didn't jump on couch cushions to the chords of "Stairway to Heaven." But I did tell all my stuffed animals where I'd be located while spinning to R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" {the corner}. I perfected some odd, jerky fighting robot moves with my little brother to Talking Head's "Burning Down the House." But far, FAR and away my favorite dance routines was to the entire ChangesBowie album. The whole thing=sweaty kid head. I was completely convinced that when Mr. Bowie sang "China Girl," it was meant only for me. I was also convinced that i was asian at heart while growing up in rural, piedmont North Carolina. Can't say.

We Were So Turned On: A Tribute to David Bowie is a treasure chest of covers by independent artists to benefit UK War Child charity. You'll make Ziggy Stardust, now incarnated in my workbuddy betafish, very pleased.

Xu Xu Fang // China Girl
David Bowie // China Girl
Warpaint // Ashes to Ashes
David Bowie // Ashes to Ashes

No comments: