Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wildbirds & Peacedrums


This wasn't a first listen in love experience for me. Mariam Wallentin's deep, almost asexual vocals - peppered with yelps, keens and scatting - weirded me out. Husband Andreas Werliin's spooky, roiling percussion made me paranoid. Add the backing vocals of the Schola Cantorum Reyjavik Chamber Choir and I'm practically walking up the stairs of the Bates mansion.

Then I told myself to be cool for once in my life and got in the campfire circle of Swedish husband and wife's August release, Rivers.

The University of Gothenburg music school dropouts have an incredible talent for maintaining tension in their music. Experimental, native rhythms, abstract storytelling and, clearly, jazz press the record in to being. Attention is easily drawn to the lyrical imagery sung by Wallentin, who's classically trained voice
morphs to whatever shape the song calls for. And Werliin's barely tethered kit is the binding agent, only occasionally allowed to crash down the steep grade. Incoming.

Wildbirds & Peacedrums // Fight for Me

No comments: