Monday, January 5, 2009

Five Albums I Listened To More Than Others In The Year 2008

Top 5 lists are typically self-serving and worthless. So I thought I'd make one or two. I figured it's the worst I could do. Here you'll find five albums with bullshit descriptions next to them. Prepare for disappointment.

Right, right, there's no mention of Radiohead, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Beck and on and on. Rest assured, if I were the only person on Earth, they'd be here. Then again, if I were the only person on Earth, my top 5 would more likely be bark, sand, water, lettuce and chickens.



Kyle Andrews - Real Blasty
Nothing super different here, just some consistently catchy pop songs. Despair meets Shiny Happy People.







Polar Bear




Electric President - Sleep Well
This reminds me of what Grandaddy would have turned into if they decided to care. Wide range of sounds, but all fairly melodic and in need of Prozac. Call me crazy (you always do), but I hear some Beach Boys in this song.







All the Bones



The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead
From synthesized pop to bluesy folk guitar to modern pop rock. It's all pretty good. Some of this reminds me of Doves before they disappeared off the face of the planet. I'm goin' with the title track here 'cause I'm that much of an asshole.







Keep Your Eyes Ahead



The Mystery Jets - Twenty One
For some reason, I don't think they ever released this album in the states. It has the new eighties thing going for it, but it's not as repetitive as a lot of the newer stuff can be. I give it a C+. I mean A, it gets an A. This song has a bit of Oingo Boingo in it.







MJ



DetektivbyrÄn - E18 Album
If you like hardcore music box, this will be gold for you. E18 Album would be the perfect soundtrack for an animated French film where everyone ended up dying from a mysterious disease caused by human boredom. Their second album of the year is basically the same thing, but with more of a Trans- Siberian Orchestra flare to it. This one gets an E for Err.







VĂ€nerhavet

No comments: